It’s the most wonderful time of the year – cookie season! December may bring back fond memories of decorating cut out sugar cookies with your mom as a kid or putting together grandma’s famous chocolate chip cookie recipe. For those following a vegan lifestyle or who have a child with allergies or intolerances, the idea of baking can be a little more daunting – no eggs, milk, or butter? Fortunately, vegan baking (and the messy, hands on family time in the kitchen!) is easier than it may seem with these simple swaps.
Butter – Butter adds density to your sweets. There are many vegan margarines and non-dairy butters available at any grocery store that can be used in cookies and more. Shortening or coconut oil can also be used instead of butter.
Eggs – Eggs binds ingredients and helps your final product rise. Applesauce is an easy substitution – ¼ cup of applesauce for every egg required. Another option is to mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax with three tablespoons of warm water to make a flax “egg”. For cakes, two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with two teaspoons baking soda can give the lift of an egg.
Milk – Milk is the easiest ingredient to replace. Most non-dairy milks can be replaced one for one in any recipe.
These swaps can be used with most any recipe! For a new favorite cookie recipe this holiday season, check out the recipes for below for vegan twists on the classic Christmas cut out cookies and everyone’s favorite, the chocolate chip cookie.
Christmas Cut Out Sugar Cookies from Babble
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and blend on low to combine.
- Add butter substitute, vanilla, and water; blend.
- Roll and cut dough into desired shapes.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- For frosting – whisk ingredients until smooth, adding milk if icing is too thick.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies from Oh She Glows
- ½ cup non-dairy butter spread
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 “flax egg” (1 tbsp ground flax+3 tbsp water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (*dark chocolate should be dairy-free, but always check labels!)
- Mix the flax egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat the non-dairy butter spread until fluffy using a mixer or stand-in mixer. Add the brown sugar and cane sugar and beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Beat in the flax egg and remaining ingredients.
- Shape balls of dough and place on cookie trays lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Written by: Amanda Dunham
Headline image – Elizabeth Towle